Fotobounce could not create library

Issues related to current releases of Fotobounce on the Windows platform.

Fotobounce could not create library

Postby legarda_d » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Hello,
I used to run the program in my laptop. And my pictures are located in an external hard disk.

Today, I plugged my portable hard disk to another PC and then I ran Fotbounce and show my library changing the library path. And it seems all is ok.

But, plugging again in my laptop, Fotobounce warms this message:
Fotobounce could not create library at P:\Fotos.
Please select another a different folder and try again.

I checked logs and no errors are printed. Later, I renamed Fotobounce Data folder and I run the program again.

This time Fotobounce started created a new Fotobounce Data folder. Then I quit the program and copied all db into the new directory. But it appears the same error...

Last test I tried is accessing to db using sqlite3.exe and it shows "Error: database disk image is malformed"

Do you know how can I recover my databases?

Another question: I notice there is an aditional db called library-29 in my original db folder. ¿do you know why?

Thanks
legarda_d

Re: Fotobounce could not create library

Postby legarda_d » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 am

Another question: are faces.db, images.db and library.db encrypted?
legarda_d

Postby legarda_d » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:58 am

More information about the error:

Running sqlite3_analyzer show that:

ERROR: database disk image is malformed
database disk image is malformed
while executing
"db eval {SELECT count(*) FROM sqlite_master}"

And trying to recover sqlite databases, I notice dump files ends with this line:

ROLLBACK;

So I guess this sentence is causing after apply recover sqlite procedure, db is still empty...

Somebody can help me?
legarda_d

Postby legarda_d » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi,

Finally, I recovered from an old backup and now I'm re-doing manually all lost work. Tagging, grouping, sorting, ....
At least I didn't loose all my database.

I think a good future feature could be provide an automatic backup procedure of all databases.

Now I scheduled every day a sqlite dump to avoid this kind of crash.
legarda_d

Postby admin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:59 pm

hi there, is it possible that FBEngine.exe was running when you tried copying your Fotobounce library to another location? if so, the database may have been locked and some tables may not have been flushed properly to disk. this could cause corruption.

sorry about the delayed response, we have been busy working on Fotobounce Version 5.

the concept of a regular backup of the DB is a good idea.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Moving the Fotobounce Data (previously .fotobounce) folder around is not a problem as long as it's kept intact. The separate .db files are all part of the same database so if the files are opened separately using the sqlite command line tool and any changes are made, or if there's any mixing and
matching going on, the Fotobounce engine will likely have a problem. This wouldn't cause the individual files to be corrupted though.

Don't delete any .journal files or the db might be corrupted.

Windows is generally good at locking DB files so they can't be touched; but if only some of them were copied it could leave things "out of sync".

The other possibility is that while connecting and reconnecting the portable hard drive there was corruption introduced into one or more of the DB files.

Sorry that you have experienced problems - and it is always a good strategy of having a backup.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Windows