Fotobounce Backup and Restore

Issues related to current releases of Fotobounce on the Windows platform.

Fotobounce Backup and Restore

Postby brianbattuello » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:51 pm

I've been using Fotobounce for about a year now, and really enjoying it. Other than the occasional freeze, I've had almost no problems with it at all. I've had a lot of fun tagging faces, and my friends are impressed with the ability to find people and view images easily by date or person.

At this point, I have quite a bit of effort invested in tagging, and I'd hate to lose it. I back up with both crashplan and backblaze, but I would like to have a dedicated backup just for Fotobounce, with the assurance that I have all the data I need to completely restore or to move Fotobounce to a new computer. I don't need to backup the actual images (they are well backed up as above) but I can if I need it to preserve the tag/photo relationships. I am concerned that my standard system backups might copy the files while they are open or might miss a critical file.

Would it be possible to add a feature in the software itself that made a Fotobounce-certified set of backups of all needed databases and files, with a software-enabled restore process? It would greatly increase my confidence in being able to restore Fotobounce. Thanks!
brianbattuello

Re: Fotobounce Backup and Restore

Postby admin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 pm

hi brian, glad fotobounce is working out for your photo management needs!

re: backup. everything related to your photo organizing - faces, people, albums, etc. - can all be found in the Fotobounce Data folder. to ensure you have a good backup make sure Fotobounce is shutdown and the Fotobounce engine (FBEngine.exe) is not running in the background. this ensures that the database tables are properly closed and flushed to the disk drive before you backup.

you can do a test any time... copy the images to another system or drive along with the Fotobounce Data folder. then install Fotobounce (if you are testing on another system) and then select the Change Library option from the File menu. point the library to the copy. everything from your original system should show up. note that you can even do this between Windows and Mac machines with no compatibility worries.
admin
Site Admin

Postby brianbattuello » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks again for the quick reply.

I may not be looking in the right place, but I couldn't find a file called "fotobounce data", either in the application folder in \Program Files (x86) or in \Program Data (which BTW is a hidden folder). I tried doing a search of my entire C: drive for fotobounce and didn't find any related files called "data".

Also, I often have fotobounce open, so I'd have no way to guess if a particular backup was done with either the application or engine running. The engine is in my start up options, so it will almost certainly be running.

I have a number of other applications that have an option right on the menu to do a safe and restorable backup, usually with a date/time stamp so I can know exactly what I'm restoring. It would be nice to have the option of backing up with a matched set of photos (huge) or just the fotobounce data.

My DBA had a sign in his cube "Backups aren't the most important job - They are the only important job"
brianbattuello

Postby brianbattuello » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:02 am

Oops - found it (fotobounce data) in my Pictures folder. It is being backed up along with my photos.

I will try doing a restore onto another machine and see if fotobounce comes up correctly. This may take a while :-)
brianbattuello

Postby vutaikt » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:06 am

if u back up: found in the Fotobounce Data folder
its ok
vutaikt

Return to Windows